Weddings & Events
Weddings at The Reef Playacar are celebrated on our beautiful white sand beach with shimmering turquoise waters in the distance or in the fragrant natural garden of the cenote area. Whether you choose a legally binding ceremony or a symbolic celebration of your love, our professional wedding coordinators will work with you to create the wedding day you’ve always imagined. Ceremony options include:
Civil Ceremony – This legally binding ceremony is performed by an ordained minister or legal representative.
Catholic Ceremony – This legal, religious ceremony is performed in the Church of nearby Nuestra Señora del Carmen.
Blessing – This ceremony bestows blessings on a current marriage or relationship and is non-binding.
Maya Ceremony – A ceremony with décor and accessories that mirror the ancient Mayan way, this non-binding celebration is anchored in Old World tradition.
Symbolic Ceremony – A non-binding ceremony that reflects the feelings and symbolism of marriage.
Renewal of Vows – A favorite option of couples who wish to reaffirm their wedding vows in a relaxed, non-binding ceremony.
Things couples should know:
- The Civil ceremony includes all legal paperwork, apostil, shipping of legal documents, and the blood test.
- The Catholic ceremony could not be done at the hotel. Special package and instructions apply for this religious legal ceremony.
- Ceremonies are performed Monday through Saturday, from 10:00 am until 6:00 pm.
- There is an additional charge for ceremonies on Sundays and at times other than those listed.
- Legal ceremonies performed on Sundays have an additional charge.
Special requirements for Civil wedding include:
- Tourist card (receive form at the Cancun airport)
- Valid passport
- Completed application form (upon arrival at the hotel)
- Blood test and health certificate (Your wedding coordinator will make arrangements for this test and health certificate. This test must be done in Playa del Carmen four business days before the wedding day. The blood test is used to check for blood type, HIV and STD. If either the bride or groom tests positive for HIV or STD, the marriage application will be refused by the local authorities.)
- Four witnesses - 2 witnesses for the bride and 2 for the groom (A witness must be over 18 years old, with a passport and tourist card and must be presented four business days before the ceremony. If you cannot bring your own witnesses, our wedding coordinator will arrange this for you. ($25 USD per witness extra charge).
- In the event either the bride or groom is previously divorced, adopted or widowed, there are other requirements. Contact our wedding coordinator for more information.